Monday, August 30, 2010

Headstone is installed!

I need to buy more chipped marble though, I was surprised to see that a lot of it was missing, and in general her grave was a grown over mess. Sad, since I had it so pretty last time. The temporary headstone I made last year was broken into 5 pieces, that was a bit sad, I had hoped it would be ok so I could bring it home. Here are some photos. I will take better ones Wednesday or Thursday when I get over there to put down more chipped marble.

So first we had to find the temporary stone, that is how overgrown it was. We dug out the pieces and moved as much of the chipped marble as we could out of the way.

Then Eddy and my brother Bill dug out a hole for the stone.



Here is the new stone, Isn't it just lovely! I truly adore it. It is really heavy, I can't even lift it a tiny bit. It is a lot bigger than I expected, the photo doesn't really show how big it is. It is a lot bigger than she was in real life, LOL.
They had to put it in and take it out a couple times to fix the size of the hole.
Big gap in photos here, because I was sitting on the ground fixing the rocks and dirt as best as I could.
My mom bought the little flower holders and the flowers. Purple for Genevive!

So here it is! I am upset we had to leave it looking this way, but I really hadn't expected so much of the marble to be gone. It will look so pretty when I redecorate it this week though.

Here is my headstone crew.... My step dad Dennis, my mom Robin, my niece Olivia, My brother in law Chris holding Lily, My sister Mel, my husband Eddy, me and my brother Billy. Alex refused to get in the photo, so we had him take the picture. Wish we had moved that stroller, LOL. I appreciate the support, and I am glad some family was there. It is nice to know that they think of Genevive. And Kudos to everyone it was so hot, and there is no shade at the grave and no wind at all, on the way home the bank thermometer said 101 degrees.

Now that it is done, I feel a mix of emotions. I am glad it is done, I was worried having the headstone in my van for a couple months, I Didn't want anything to happen to it. However I also feel sad, this was my last big thing. Now there is nothing left I can do for Genevive. I feel like I am done parenting her. Seems odd to even think of parenting a dead baby, but I still feel like she is mine and I am supposed to provide for her. But now I am done providing for her, so what am I left with? I can light a candle a couple times a year, but it just doesn't feel like enough for me. I guess I will have to find a new way to continue my grief.

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It is a beautiful headstone.

Michele said...

It is so beautiful. Truly.

I think we'll always parent them in the ways that we can... by remembering, by loving. And, in the end, I think that matters more than the physical things we give them.

Hugs...

Brittanie said...

I just wanted to say again how beautiful I think it is! (hugs)